Wednesday, September 29, 2010

What are my fellow bloggers talking about?

This week, our assignment was to read blogs of our fellow PRR332 classmates and discuss our thoughts about them. After going through some of the blogs I found the blogs about ethics the most interesting because of how many problems can ethics can cause in the public relations industry.

The first blog I looked at was Katerina Torres' blog titled Social Media for PR Use. Her blog focuses on all major issues and benefits associated with social media in today's society. Every week she comments on a different topic and how it applies to the social media world. This particular blog is about ethics and how it can be positively and negatively affected. She referred to two terms "respondent study risks" and "respondent recruitment" which I found very interesting. The respondent study risks applied to how negatively it can affect research. Someone who adds someone on a social media outlet will never know if the person answering is actually the age, sex, or race they write down. They may also add someone with the wrong intentions and could be harmful. On the other hand, respondent recruitment is positive because the social media outlets reach more people and can get more respondents for surveys or other possible research tactics. I never realized that ethics could be so important to social media outlets but once I read Katerina's blog, I realized how it plays such a large part in my life considering how many social media outlets I use.

The second blog I read was Blaine Dulkerian's blog titled E.PR which focuses on the entertainment industry. Every week she posts public relations related issues that are seen in the media industry. Her blog on ethics brought up some very interesting points. She mentioned the campaign launched by the IPRA in 2001 banning unethical and illegal practices between PR practitioners and the media. Blaine also discusses one of the most talked about fashion statements of 2010, Lady Gaga's dress made of meat. Blaine makes really good points about who allowed her to make that judgement and if she had any PR support. I agree because if I were Lady Gaga's publicist I would remind her that wearing that dress could have put her name in negative connotations. And it sure did. PETA had a major issue with how wearing meat represented slaughter and blood. Blaine's blog raises good ethical points and definitely made me realize how important ethics are in the entertainment industry.

After reading these blogs, I feel like I looked at these sides of public relations in a different way. It also made me aware of how many ethical problems are around me everyday. Although I have a love for fashion and have always set my mind to working in that industry, I could definitely see myself working in the social media or entertainment industry after reading these blogs and thinking about these issues!

No comments:

Post a Comment